STONE TOWER

 

Tower Restored

The Stone Tower was built in 1936 as a fire watch tower and sits approximately 50 feet above the highest point in Lynn Woods Reservation.  The Tower is constructed of stone and mortar, circular in plan and approximately thirty feet in diameter.  The first floor is a fifteen foot high cube base with an exterior stone balustrade and concrete stair wrapping around the entrance corner and one side of the base.  These stairs lead to the upper tower, a vertical-walled, four-story octagonal shaft with identical arched window openings at every level.  A cast iron spiral stair links the second, third and fourth floors from within. Stone Tower offers impressive views of Lynn's waterfront as well as Boston’s skyline.

 



CelebratingImprovements to Stone Tower have been made possible from a generous donation from the Richardson family in the amount of $125,000, along with $90,000 from the Massachusetts Historical Commission and donations and fundraising in the amount of $40,000.  Restoration work included repairing the masonry walls and repointing mortar joint, restoring the exterior concrete and stone staircase to the tower, installing a new roof, window grates, steel entrance door and a new steel spiral staircase inside the tower to finally allow passage to the upper floors.

A dedication ceremony was held on August 13, 2010 to honor the Richardson Family, the Massachusetts Historical Commission and friends and was hosted by Mayor Judith Flanagan Kennedy, OECD and the Friends of Lynn Woods. Stone Tower is open to the public by appointment with the Park Ranger – 781-477-7123.