GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC (GAR) BUILDING

 

The Grand Army of the Republic Building was erected in 1885 with funds raised by local Civil War veterans for what was the largest G.A.R. post in the country. It is also known as the General Frederick W. Lander Post No. 5, and is located at 58 Andrew Street. 

On May 7, 1979, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The hall is now the Grand Army of the Republic Museum.  Its crowning glory is the enormous 56' x 46' main hall on the third floor, which retains the original furnishings and has walls filled with photos of Civil War veterans.

Six more rooms have memorabilia from the Revolutionary War through the Korean War. The research library has an impressive built-in bookcase, which was designed and built by one of the founding veterans.

 

A Master Plan document for the GAR Building was completed in September 2000.  Over the past three years, the Department of Community Development has applied for and received grants to address the deteriorating external walls and roof of the building.  The 2010 grant completed a new roof in order to protect the valuable artifacts from additional moisture damage.